Milwaukee Intersections with the Most Auto Accidents
Posted by PKSD Law Firm on Oct 21, 2015 in Car Accidents
About 30 auto accidents happen every day in Milwaukee, the majority of which take place at some of the most dangerous intersections in the state.
According to the latest data from the Milwaukee Police Department and the Department of Public Works Traffic Section accident report, 11,036 vehicle collisions happened in Milwaukee in 2013. The reason for these accidents varies and includes:
- Following too close to one another
- Disregarding traffic signals
- Poor road conditions
- Driver inattentiveness
- Failing to yield
Two factors, the total number of collisions and the frequency with which they occur, are important in assessing why certain Milwaukee intersections are so dangerous.
Highest Number of Collisions
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel identified the cities top crash sites by looking at the number of accidents that occurred at each intersection between 2007 and 2011. Here they are in order from most to least crashes:
- West Capitol Dr. and Highway 45
- North Mayfair Road and West North Avenue
- North 35th Street and West Capitol Drive
- North 6th Street and West McKinley Avenue
- West National Avenue and I-894
By analyzing the crashes at the above intersections, the newspaper identified these important takeaways:
- Collisions are highest where there is the most traffic
- Construction on roadways may trigger more crashes
- Mostly minor injuries happen at large collision sites, which could be caused by vehicles moving more slowly in high traffic zones
Highest Crash Frequency
In the 2014 report, the following intersections were identified as the most dangerous based on the frequency of collisions:
- West Capitol Dr. and North 35th Street
- West Layton Ave. and South 27th Street
- West Fond du Lac and North 6th Street & West McKinley
- West Capitol Drive and West Fond du Lac Avenue
- West Silver Spring Drive and No. 60th Street
Two intersections were listed as having the high numbers of accidents at a high frequency and were included on both lists above. These could be deemed the most dangerous intersections in Milwaukee:
- 6th Street and West McKinley
- 35th Street and West Capitol Drive
If you, or your loved one, has been injured in an auto accident in Milwaukee, contact the law firm of Pitman, Kalkhoff, Sicula & Dentice immediately to set up your free legal evaluation.
Call 877-877-2228 right away to get started.