North-Central Wisconsin Nursing Homes Rack Up Federal Violations
Posted by PKSD Law Firm on Jun 20, 2013 in Nursing Homes and Elder Rights
WAOW Newsline 9 is reporting that seven homes were officially designated as offering substandard quality of care in 2012. Three homes were given that designation in 2011.
The investigation found the following:
- Benedictine Manor of Wausau received 9 federal violations one of which included the elopement of a male resident who left the facility, wandered through the woods and was found in a four foot deep ditch.
- Gilman Care Center in Taylor County received 13 federal violations two of which stemmed from one roommate cursing at his roommate, threatening him and urinating on his bed.
- Villa Pines Living Center in Friendship was fined after one resident suffered 21 falls and no interventions were put in place to keep the resident safe.
- Strawberry Lane Medical and Rehabilitation Center in Wisconsin Rapids received the most violations with 25, including failure to provide care and treatment to promote healing and prevent pressure ulcers.
- Friendly Village Nursing and Rehab Center was also fined for pressure sores.
- Marshfield-Norwood Health Centers Central and Pathways units were designated as offering substandard quality of care.
In 2012, there were 40 homes in Wisconsin with this designation up from 32 in 2011.