Statewide Campaign to Combat Drunken Driving Yields Results
Posted by PKSD Law Firm on Sep 28, 2009 in Drunken Driving Accidents
The state of Wisconsins drunken driving campaign and subsequent enforcement came to a headway this past Labor Day with more than 1,200 arrests.
The campaign, part of the national effort called Drunk Driving. Over the Limit. Under Arrest., ran from August 21 through Labor Day. It included 2,700 officers from more than 320 police departments, sheriffs offices and the State Patrol.
In addition to the OWI citations, authorities issued 52,000 additional citations, including:
- 9,155 speeding violations
- 5,432 seat belt citations
- 2,401 operating after revocation or suspension citations
- 847 traffic sign or traffic light citations
- 221 open intoxicant citations
- 145 child safety restraint citations
The campaign also led to the arrest of 65 felons, 211 people arrested for drugs and 413 arrests for outstanding warrants.
Last year, authorities made 37,000 were convicted of drunken driving, or the equivalent of the city of Beloit.