What do you do if your loved one’s nursing home closes?

Posted by PKSD Law Firm on Nov 06, 2008 in Nursing Homes and Elder Rights

Since September 2006, there have been 5 voluntary closures of Wisconsin nursing homes resulting in the relocation of over 200 residents. 


Choosing a new home can be difficult when all of the factors are considered. Bed/space availability, time to make alternate living arrangements, and funding can all present unique challenges in finding a new home.


It is important to know that the closing facility is responsible for assisting the resident to move.  The state of Wisconsin also monitors the process and assists the resident in moving.  The state, along with county human services agencies, meets on a weekly basis with the closing nursing home to review relocation plans of each person living in the home.  The Board of Aging and Long Term Care and its long term care ombudsmen represent the residents during this process.


An ombudsman and the BOALTC can ensure that residents are given informed choices that include opportunities to visit proposed alternate living arrangements.


If you or a loved one is confronted with a relocation predicament, make sure to contact your ombudsman to make sure your rights are protected.  For more information on how to contact your BOALTC or an ombudsman, please click this link.

Pitman, Kalkhoff & Sicula is a Wisconsin personal injury law firm that handles nursing home abuse and neglect cases.  Our nursing home abuse and neglect trial team has successfully represented abused and neglected residents in almost every county.  We know Wisconsin.

Back to top