BMW Recalls 76,000 Automobiles Over Brake Problem
BMW has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that it will be recalling 76,000 vehicles from the 2012-2014 model years due to the loss of power brake assist.
According to a BMW spokesperson, the oil supply for the vacuum pump that operates the brake booster used for power assist can be interrupted. The brakes will still function, but the driver will have to press much harder on the brake pedal, creating greater stopping distances.
The models affected by the recall are:
- The 2012-14 320i and 328i
- The 320i and 328i xDrive Sedan
- The 2013-14 328i xDrive Sports Wagon
- The 2012-13 528i and 528i xDrive Sedan
- The 2013-14 X1 sDrive28i and X1 xDrive28i
- The 2013-14 X3 xDrive28i
- The 2012-14 Z4 sDrive 2.8i
According to BMW, most of the failures occurred within the first 1,000 miles.