Milwaukee Texting and Driving Accident Lawyers
No driver should operate their vehicle while distracted. Unfortunately, thousands of people get behind the wheel of a car every day, paying more attention to their smartphone than the road. Texting and driving is rampant among drivers of all ages, and the accidents that can result from this negligent behavior are very often life-altering.
If you were hit by a driving who was texting or distracted at the time of the accident, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit for compensation.
Our auto accident attorneys at Pitman, Kalkhoff, Sicula & Dentice are here to help. We work hard to protect the rights of accident victims like you.
How Widespread is Texting & Driving?
Texting and driving is a major problem that is growing in enormity.
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that in 2012, 3,328 people were killed in crashes involving a distracted driver, compared to 3,360 in 2011.
- An additional, 421,000 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes involving a distracted driver in 2012, a nine percent increase from the 387,000 people injured in 2011.
This is a problem that affects not just young drivers. Even older, experienced motorists are guilty of using their cell phone while behind the wheel.
Regardless of age or experience, texting while driving is illegal for all drivers in Wisconsin. This behavior is deemed negligent and irresponsible and is prohibited by law in our state.
Consequences of Distracted Driving
Texting and driving is one of the most dangerous types of distractions because it utilizes cognitive, manual and visual skills all at once. This means that while a motorist is checking a message, they are engaging in the following behaviors:
- Focusing on the content of the text message instead of the task at hand
- Using their fingers to type rather than keeping their hands on the wheel
- Averting their eyes from the road to read a message or view the screen of their smartphone
Put together, each of these types of distractions takes a motorist completely out of the driving situation. This can lead to any number of different types of accidents which can range from fender-benders to devastating fatalities or massive pileups.
PKSD: Your Lawyers for Texting and Driving Accidents
The Milwaukee auto accident lawyers of Pitman, Kalkhoff, Sicula & Dentice know too well the devastation that can come from a car crash. When texting is involved, the outcome is often even more serious because attention is diverted and these drivers do not have time to maneuver away from crashes.
If you were hit by a texting driver or if someone you love was killed by a distracted motorist, you may have legal rights.
Call PKSD for your FREE case review at 877-877-2228 today.