Compensation for Passengers in Car Accidents

Posted on behalf of Jeff Pitman on December 21, 2018 in Car Accidents
Updated on April 25, 2024

dents in a red carWhen a car accident occurs, and you are a passenger in one of the vehicles and not one of the drivers, how do you obtain compensation for your medical expenses and other damages?

If you ever get injured as a passenger in a car accident, there are answers to some of the questions you may have below. Meeting with an attorney can also be an advantage when dealing with insurance companies. Contact a car accident attorney in Milwaukee from PKSD for a free, no obligation legal consultation to find out how we may be able to help you.

Who is Liable for Your Damages?

Wisconsin is an at-fault state when it comes to automobile accidents. Damages are pursued from the at-fault driver’s auto insurance policy. Wisconsin requires drivers to carry minimum insurance amounts of:

  • $25,000 in liability coverage for the bodily injury or death of a single person in a collision where the driver of the insured vehicle is at fault.
  • $50,000 in liability coverage for the injury or death of two or more people in a collision where the driver of the insured vehicle is at fault.
  • $10,000 in liability coverage for the property damage in a collision where the driver of the insured vehicle is at fault.

An at-fault driver’s insurance can cover medical bills, costs to replace or repair damaged property and other costs incurred by victims who are injured or have property damage resulting from the accident.

Once the policy’s coverage limits are met, the insurance policy will not pay more. As medical bills can be quite expensive, the coverage amount may not be enough to pay for the damages you have suffered. Pursuing a car accident lawsuit against the driver may allow you to recover the rest of the compensation you deserve for your injuries.

What About a Crash with an Uninsured Driver?

In Wisconsin, driving without insurance is against the law and uninsured drivers are subject to a fine of up to $500 and penalties that may include suspension of his or her driver’s license and/or vehicle registration.

However, if the at-fault driver in your accident does not have insurance, what do you do? The at-fault driver is still liable for your damages, so you could file a lawsuit to pursue the compensation you are entitled. If your personal automobile insurance policy offers coverage for uninsured or underinsured motorists, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurance provider. This insurance coverage can provide compensation up to the policy limits.

Wisconsin law requires drivers to carry the following minimum coverage for uninsured and underinsured motorist accidents:

  • $25,000 in minimum coverage for injuries, per person.
  • $50,000 in minimum coverage for total injuries per collision.

You may carry higher coverage amounts, which can provide additional compensation over the minimum should you be involved in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.

Working with a skilled car accident lawyer can help you determine the appropriate legal action to pursue that is in your best interest.

Contact an Attorney for Help

If you were injured as a passenger in a car accident, PKSD’s Wisconsin car accident attorneys can assist you. We will review your claim and inform you of the legal options that may be available for pursuing compensation of your injuries.

Request a free, no obligation consultation today. There are no upfront fees, and payment is only due if we recover compensation for you.

Call 414-333-3333 or complete our Free Case Evaluation form now.

Back to top