How Do I Pursue a Claim for a Car Crash That Happened in Another State?

Posted on behalf of Jeff Pitman on September 29, 2020 in Car Accidents
Updated on February 24, 2022

welcome to illinois sign over overpassCar accidents are bad enough when they happen in the city or county where you live. But what happens if you travel out of state and get into a crash? How do you pursue compensation? How is this different from claims involving in-state crashes?

You may be wondering where the claim needs to be filed and what insurance laws will be applied to your claim. That is why it can be very helpful to meet with a licensed attorney for a free legal consultation. Seeking legal representation could help you get the compensation you need to get back on your feet again.

Contact the law offices of PKSD to discuss your claim with a qualified attorney. Our firm has recovered millions in compensation on behalf of our past clients. We offer free initial consultations to determine whether you may qualify for financial compensation.

What Laws Take Effect?

When you travel to another state, you must abide by the laws of that state. If your vehicle was registered in Wisconsin, which is an at-fault state, and you were involved in an accident in Michigan, which is a no-fault state, you may be required to seek compensation from your own insurance.

Generally, insurance coverage extends throughout the U.S. If you were injured out of state, you would still be eligible for the coverage defined in your policy. The insurance company may assign an adjuster in the state where the crash happened, or one from your home state.

If your lawyer cannot obtain favorable compensation from the insurance company, he or she may need to file a lawsuit. Depending on the circumstances, he or she may be able to file in your home state or in the state where the accident happened.

Since these types of cases can often be complex, we recommend discussing your situation with a licensed Milwaukee car accident lawyer.

Generally, if you have enough auto insurance coverage to cover your damages, and the accident is covered by your policy, you may be able to obtain compensation. It is unlikely you are subject to the insurance limits of the state you traveled to.

Can I Get my Vehicle Repaired in Another State?

You have the right to decide where you get your car repaired. You are not limited to the mechanics recommended by your insurance company. However, you can call your insurance company for a list of  approved repair shops in the area.

Towing may be covered by your insurance policy, so it is a good idea to ask when you call your insurance company.

Use caution when speaking to the insurance company. There are a variety of mistakes that could ruin your crash claim. Avoid divulging too much information and never admit fault for causing the collision. Remember that you are not required to provide a recorded statement without speaking to your lawyer first.

Why Should I Get Medical Payments Insurance?

Wisconsin is considered a fault or “tort” state, which means the at-fault driver must pay for the other party’s damages. So why should you consider buying Medical Payments insurance?

Although Medical Payments, more commonly known as MedPay insurance, is not mandatory coverage in Wisconsin, it must be offered to you when you purchase your auto insurance policy. You can reject this – in writing only – but we do not recommend it.

MedPay can be useful to you after a car accident. It will help to cover your medical costs up front – up to the limits of coverage you purchased, and there is no deductible to pay. Your insurer will seek reimbursement from the at-fault party’s insurer afterwards.

It is worth mentioning, that since the state minimum for MedPay coverage is only $1,000, it will not go far if you only buy the minimum coverage, especially given the high cost of medical care today. We recommend that you consider purchasing additional limits according to your potential needs.The benefit and peace of mind far outweigh the minimal cost.

Seek Legal Assistance for an Out-of-State Crash

Getting into an accident in another state can be even more stressful than getting into an accident in your home state.

At the law offices of PKSD, our reputable attorneys have in-depth knowledge and experience applying relevant laws to car crash claims. We are committed to pursuing the maximum allowable compensation to help with your recovery efforts.

We do not charge you any legal fees unless we win compensation for you.

Call PKSD at 877-877-2228 to schedule your complimentary consultation.

Back to top