PKSD Newsletter: Tips for Finding Affordable and Safe Child Care
Posted by PKSD Law Firm on March 17, 2023 in Personal Injury
Across the U.S., it is becoming harder and harder for parents to find quality child care that is not only affordable, but also reliable and safe. In some locations, families are finding child care so expensive that it actually costs them more than their housing.
Below, PKSD discusses some of the reasons affordable child care has become increasingly difficult to find. We also share some tips on finding a child care solution that is not only affordable, but also reliable and safe.
What Current Issues Are Making it Hard to Find Quality Child Care?
Finding child care really comes down to three critical elements for families: cost, quality and availability. These three key issues are making it extremely challenging for families to find a place they can feel good about leaving their child for the day.
- Child care costs: Results of a recent survey show that more than half of all families nationwide are spending as much as 20 percent of their total household income on child care. However, for many people that is an unrealistic expense.
- Child care quality: Finding quality child care that is affordable and reliable is also becoming increasingly difficult. The pandemic and changing economy plays a significant role in both the shift in costs and being able to find a reliable solution.
- Affordability: The rising costs of child care have forced many families to take on a second job. Others have either changed jobs or chosen to work less hours.
Child Care is simply not affordable for many families. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) considers child care in the affordable range for families at 7 percent. Yet actual child care costs are far and above that range.
What Are Some Tips for Finding Affordable, Safe Child Care?
In addition to finding affordable child care, it has also been harder to find safe child care. Sometimes parents resort to placing their children in less costly situations. However, this can often put children in danger. So what can parents do to find more affordable child care that is also safe?
This month’s PKSD Newsletter includes these and other tips for finding affordable and safe child care:
- Carefully research providers for a history of complaints or violations.
- Check out financial assistance programs, both government-funded and at the state level.
- Visit each facility and bring your questions. Take notes for each one so you can remember later. Talk to parents who already have children there.
- Find out how many adult caregivers per child are at each facility and what training they may have.
- Stay in daily communication with caregivers at the facility.
- Check in at different times throughout the week without calling first.
Have Legal Questions About a Personal Injury? Call PKSD Today
Our law firm puts people first. We have been representing the injured in Milwaukee and throughout Wisconsin for decades. Our experienced legal team has recovered millions in compensation for our clients.
If you need legal help, we encourage you to contact PKSD to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer in Milwaukee. We are deeply committed to holding at-fault parties accountable for the damages they cause.
Not sure if you have a case? We invite you to call at your convenience for a free case review. There is no obligation to move forward with a claim. If you have a case and you choose our firm to represent you, there are no upfront costs to pay or throughout the legal process. We only get paid our fees if we win your case.
Experienced. Local. Lawyers. 877-877-2228