Frequently Asked Questions on Long-term Care Issues Pt. 1

Posted on behalf of Jeff Pitman on June 30, 2010 in FAQs
Updated on February 24, 2022

The following information is from the Wisconsin Board on Aging and Long Term Care:

My father lives in a nursing home, but the staff hints that he may have to leave if his behavior does not improve. How can the Ombudsman Program help?

Persons may not be discharged from a nursing home without thorough preparation, planning and notice, and may only be discharged to what will be considered a safe and permanent setting. This would include persons who are transferred from a nursing home to a hospital for treatment of behavioral challenges. This transfer may not be considered a discharge from the facility, and the facility has the above obligation.

The Ombudsman Program may be of assistance to the facility in terms of assisting with problem-solving the behavioral challenges and assisting with referrals to other community education and support agencies. Residents and families served with a notice of involuntary discharge under these circumstances should call the Ombudsman Program immediately.

What is a Long Term Care Ombudsman?

An Ombudsman (Om-budz-man) is an advocate for long term care consumers aged 60 and over who reside in nursing homes or group homes or are participants of the Community Options Program.

Do you need help with a nursing home abuse damages claim? Contact a Milwaukee personal injury attorney from PKSD today for your free consultation.

PKSD – Est. 1999. Ph: 877-877-2228.

Back to top