2014 Traffic Fatalities Drop
Posted by PKSD Law Firm on Dec 02, 2015 in Car Accidents
Traffic fatalities in 2014 dropped to the lowest point since record-keeping began in 1975. Figures from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administrations (NHTSA) Fatal Analysis Reporting System report a total of only 32,675 deaths for the year.
Causes of 2014 Fatal Accidents
Although total traffic fatalities for the year were at a record low, the causes of the accidents remained consistent with prior years.
- One-third of traffic fatalities were the result of drunk driving accidents
- 49 percent of passengers killed in traffic accidents did not have a seatbelt on
- 10 percent of traffic fatalities were caused by distracted driving
- 2.6 percent of traffic fatalities were the result of drowsy driving
- Speeding was a contributing factor in 25 percent of traffic deaths
- Human errors and behavior were estimated to be critical causes in 94 percent of traffic crashes
- Vehicle problems were the critical cause of only approximately two percent of accidents
Increase Projected for 2015
Unfortunately, the record low traffic fatality rate of 2014 is not expected to hold true for 2015. The NHTSA projects the fatality rate could increase 8.1 percent for the first six months of the year. Total numbers for the year will not be available until 2016, and this estimate will be revised to reflect actual totals.
The NHTSA is considering this troublesome projection as a call to action to improve road safety. The agency will hold a number of regional meetings throughout the U.S. in 2016, as well as a national gathering, with the goal of collecting new ideas, developing new approaches and gaining new partners in the battle against the behaviors causing traffic deaths across the country.
Losing a loved one in an auto accident is a devastating experience, especially when your loss was due to the negligence of another driver. Let a seasoned personal injury lawyer Milwaukee at Pitman, Kalkhoff, Sicula & Dentice fight to hold the responsible party accountable for their life-altering actions. Contact us today at 877-877-2228 for a free case evaluation.