Teen Drivers and Intersections: Dangerous Hotspot
One of the most common places for an accident to occur is at an intersection. All it takes is one person failing to pay attention or ignoring a traffic signal to cause severe injury or even death.
Due to traffic design and converging streets, intersections can be difficult to navigate. However, they present a much tougher challenge, especially for new drivers.
Common Driving Errors at Intersections
- Speeding and driving aggressively
- Failing to scan intersections properly on approach
- Following other vehicles too closely
- Signaling improperly
- Misjudging the speed and distance of other vehicles
In Wisconsin, a driver or passenger 19-years-old or younger is killed or injured every hour in a traffic crash. This highlights how critical it is for teen drivers to pay extreme caution when driving, especially through intersections.
Teen Driving Distractions
Teens are far more likely to be distracted and make poor driving choices when there is even just one other teen passenger in the vehicle with them. According to the DOT, the risk of a fatal crash for a teen driver doubles with just one teen passenger and is four to five times higher with three or more teen passengers.
Between phone calls, text messages, emails and social media, were more connected to the world around us than ever before teens especially.
- Texting is one of the most dangerous things a new driver can do. It takes their eyes off the road and slows their reaction time, which is dangerous and potentially deadly.
- Instead of answering a text message while on the road, teen drivers should wait until they are safely parked, or they should pull over somewhere safe to respond.
- If your teen uses GPS to navigate where they are going, make sure they program their location before leaving home.
Set a Good Example for Your Teen
Do as I say, not as I do, doesn’t work for teens. Studies show that poor driving behaviors in teens often reflect the habits of their parents. So remember: set a good example, your children are watching.
If you or someone you love was injured because of another persons negligence, you deserve honest and straightforward representation. Contact Pitman, Kalkhoff, Sicula & Dentices auto accident lawyers for a free review of your case.