Make Sure Your Car Is Winter-Ready
Posted by PKSD Law Firm on November 12, 2015 in Car Accidents
Winter weather can make traveling more dangerous. Keep safe by preparing your car for winter weather properly.
Follow this checklist and important tips for making sure your car is prepared for the coming winter months.
Winter Vehicle Weatherization Checklist
- Schedule a tune-up to resolve any performance issues that may be exacerbated by cold weather exposure.
- Have your brakes inspected by a professional, and replace brake pads and rotors if needed.
- Your vehicles exhaust system should be professionally inspected to check for dangerous carbon monoxide leaks.
- Inspect your tires for adequate tread and proper air pressure; pressure should be checked weekly during winter months. If your tires are worn down, replace them right away.
- Every two years, your cooling system should be flushed and new antifreeze should be added. Before winter, check the systems antifreeze levels and add more if necessary.
- Add winter-appropriate washer fluid and replace your wiper blades with winter wiper blades; blades should be replaced approximately every six months.
- Check your oil levels regularly and have your oil changed as recommended throughout the winter. Ask your vehicle technician if a winter weight motor oil is appropriate for your car.
- Check both interior and exterior lights and signals.
Winter Fuel Levels
During the winter months, it is important that you always keep your gas tank over halfway full. This will help prevent frozen fuel lines and ice from forming in your gas tank. Keeping an adequate amount of fuel in your tank at all times will prevent you from running out of gas accidentally, leaving you stranded without fuel or heat in freezing temperatures.
Winter Emergency Kit
Keep the following supplies in your car in case of a winter roadside emergency:
- Jumper cables
- Ice scraper and brush
- Warm clothes
- Water and non-perishable food
If you have been injured in an automobile accident, a personal injury lawyer Milwaukee WI at Pitman, Kalkhoff, Sicula & Dentice, S.C. will help you recover the compensation you deserve. Call us at 877-877-2228 today for a free case evaluation.