Questions an Attorney May Ask You in a Free Consultation
Posted by PKSD Law Firm on March 31, 2021 in Personal Injury
Many law firms advertise that they offer free legal consultations. This initial meeting helps the attorney learn more about the incident that caused your injuries and determine if you may have a case. But are there strings attached?
The article below discusses what questions the attorney may ask you and what else you can expect in a free case review. Our dedicated Milwaukee-based personal injury lawyers are prepared to help.
Call for your free case review today. There is no obligation to move forward and no risk to you.
What Questions Will an Attorney Ask Me in a Free Case Review?
There are no strings attached after this free case review. However, to determine your legal options, an attorney needs to first understand the details and other factors that may impact your potential case. For this reason, most of what he or she asks will focus on the event that caused your injuries. These are some of the initial questions he or she is likely to ask you in your consultation:
- What was the date, time and location of the accident?
- Were other parties involved? If so, who?
- How did the accident happen?
- If relevant, what was the weather at the time of the accident?
- What do you remember just before the incident occurred?
- Did you get hurt? If so, where?
- Did you seek medical care immediately after the accident?
- What injuries did your doctor diagnose?
- Have you received any medical bills?
- How are your injuries affecting you physically, emotionally and mentally?
- Are you able to care for yourself?
- Have you missed work while recovering?
- How have your injuries affected your close relationships?
Why the Attorney Needs So Much Information
For there to be a case, an attorney will need to be able to prove negligence caused the accident – and your injuries. The information the attorney obtains will help him or her make this determination, because:
- Legal cases cost the firm money, so they need to know there is a good chance of winning
- Neither you nor the law firm will want to waste time if there is no case
Everything you share is confidential and protected by attorney-client privilege. Therefore, it is safe – and necessary – to be completely honest and accurate when you respond. Leaving out details or exaggerating the truth could damage your credibility – and the value of your potential claim.
How Can I Prepare for My Free Case Review?
It can be difficult to remember everything that is important without having notes to help jog your memory. For this reason, we recommend gathering documents and writing up some notes before your free initial consultation.
Items that will help the attorney determine if you may have a case include:
- Details about the accident (as per the questions above)
- Description of your injuries, including pain levels and how they affect you every day
- Doctor’s notes/notes from your emergency room visit
- Diagnostic reports (X-rays, MRIs, etc.)
- Prescriptions/medication you are taking
- Your auto and health insurance information
- Copies of the police report
- Photos that show the accident scene and your injuries
- Contact/insurance details of the other party
- Evidence of any tickets that were issued
Am I Allowed to Ask the Attorney Questions?
Not only are you allowed to ask the attorney questions, but we encourage it. Your free case review should benefit both you and your potential attorney. Often, this can be an interview of sorts – to help you determine if our law firm is a good fit for you.
That said, it can be hard to remember everything you want to ask when face-to-face in a meeting. Therefore, we recommend writing down your questions – and leaving space to write down the answers you receive. This way you can look at them again later.
To get you started, here are some of the most common questions we get asked:
- How does the legal process work and how long will it take?
- What is the value of my case – how much compensation could I receive?
- Why is it better to hire a lawyer than to represent myself?
- If I agree to hire your services, what happens next?
- How do I pay for your legal services?
- How do I pay for my medical bills during the legal process?
- Are there things I should or should not do to protect my claim?
- How will my personal injury case be managed?
Discuss Your Case with an Experienced Attorney
At PKSD, we are not only knowledgeable about the law, but also dedicated to holding negligent parties accountable for actions that harm others. We have a strong and proven track record, recovering millions in compensation for injured victims throughout Wisconsin.
Schedule your free case review today to speak with a qualified attorney. There is no obligation to pursue a claim after this meeting. If we take your case, you pay us nothing until the end of the legal process – and only if we obtain compensation for you.
Call PKSD to learn more. Ph: 877-877-2228