Resources for Reporting Elder Abuse

Posted on behalf of Jeff Pitman on November 2, 2016 in Nursing Home Abuse
Updated on February 24, 2022

woman nursing home residentDespite the dangers of elder abuse, it often goes unreported for a number of reasons. This may include loved ones who do not visit residents often, loved ones who are unsure of what to do, and abuse that is over looked or difficult to identify. Many elderly nursing home residents also have poor memory or are unable to communicate effectively.

After reporting elder abuse or neglect, you should consider hiring a reputable attorney with experience handling abuse cases. The nursing home abuse attorneys at PKSD are committed advocates for the rights of the elderly with decades of experience helping abuse victims and their families get the justice they deserve.

If you suspect that your loved one is suffering from or abuse or neglect in a nursing home, it is vital that you report the misconduct immediately.

Common Signs of Nursing Home Abuse

In order to report abuse, you must first be able to identify when it is happening and describe the abuse to the appropriate authorities.

It is especially important to watch for these signs of nursing home abuse:

  • Changes in behavior
  • Withdrawal from social contact
  • Presence of bedsores
  • Unexplained bruising or other wounds
  • Poor hygiene
  • Unexplained infections or diseases
  • Changes in finances
  • Unexplained changes to a will or power of attorney

If you notice any of these signs and suspect elder abuse, you should report the problem as soon as possible.

Where to Report Elder Abuse

There are a number of options available for reporting elder abuse. However, if it is an emergency or if your loved one’s life is in danger, call 911 immediately.

If the abuse or neglect is not life-threatening, you should first report any misconduct to the doctors, nurses and other administrators at the healthcare facility. Then, you should contact the appropriate authorities. This can include:

Schedule a free consultation by calling 877-877-2228.

Back to top