What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
Posted by PKSD Law Firm on November 18, 2015 in Personal Injury
With winter weather approaching, your risk of experiencing a slip and fall accident could rise. If you are injured, protect yourself by taking the steps outlined below.
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall Accident
- Seek medical attention immediately; your health is most important. Medical professionals will document your injuries, providing you with valuable proof should you pursue litigation.
- File an accident report. If your fall occurred in an apartment, someones house, a retail establishment or other location, you should report the accident to the property owner, store manager or landlord. Ask for a copy of the accident report for your records.
- Keep a level head. Being angry about the situation will not change what has happened; focus on healing. If the accident occurred on the property of a homeowner, limit contact with the homeowner for now.
- Photograph the scene of the accident. Capture photos of weather conditions, walkways, stairs, hand rails and other factors that contributed to the accident. Note the date and time your fall occurred, as conditions can change quickly.
- Obtain names and contact information of anyone who witnessed your fall. Their testimony will aid you in proving exactly how the event occurred if needed.
- Store the outfit and footwear you wore when you fell in a safe place. These things may be used as evidence should you pursue a claim for compensation.
- Contact an attorney about your options. A knowledgeable personal injury attorney Milwaukee with experience handling successful slip and fall cases will possess the resources needed to prove your injury claims and recover compensation.
Pitman, Kalkhoff, Sicula & Dentice, S.C. is committed to holding property owners accountable for the harm they’ve caused you, and we will fight for the compensation you deserve. Call us at 877-877-2228 for a free case evaluation.