CMS Releases New Nursing Home Special Focus Facility List
Posted by PKSD Law Firm on Mar 11, 2020 in Nursing Home Abuse
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) instituted the Special Focus Facility Program to identify nursing homes with a history of serious quality issues and to implement practices to help improve their quality of resident care.
Facilities who perform poorly are subject to state surveys or inspections to determine whether they are meeting health and safety standards. When deficiencies are identified, facilities must submit plans to CMS to improve their deficient practices or else face losing their Medicare and Medicaid funding.
Nursing Homes Added to the Program
CMS recently updated its list of Special Focus Facilities (SFF), which includes previously undisclosed candidates for the program. For instance, Rowley Memorial Masonic Home in Perry, Iowa, has been added after state inspectors cited the facility for a resident’s death, sexual abuse and other violations.
Nursing homes in Wisconsin, New Mexico and Iowa that have qualified to be selected as an SFF include:
- Autumn Lake Healthcare at Greenfield in Milwaukee, WI
- Bay at Burlington Health and Rehabilitation in Burlington, WI
- Bethel Home and Services in Viroqua, WI
- Bria of Trinity Village in Milwaukee, WI
- Carlisle Center for Wellness and Rehab in Carlisle, IA
- Casa De Oro Center in Las Cruces, NM
- Casa De Paz Health Care Center in Sioux City, IA
- Cedar Falls Health Care Center in Cedar Falls, IA
- Cedarburg Health Services in Cedarburg, WI
- Crestview Acres in Marion, IA
- Edenbrook Lakeside in Milwaukee, WI
- Fountain West Health Center in West Des Moines, IA
- Grand Prairie Health and Rehabilitation Center in Pleasant Prairie, WI
- Landsun Homes, Inc. in Carlsbad, NM
- Mescaldero Care Center in Mescaldero, NM
- Pearl Valley Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center in Washington, IA
- Pine View Care Center in Black River Falls, WI
- Pleasant Acres Care Center in Hull, IA
- Polk City Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Polk City, IA
- QHC Fort Dodge Villa, LLC in Fort Dodge, IA
- QHC Winterset North, LLC in Winterset, IA
- Silver City Care Center in Silver City, NM
- The Suites Rio Vista in Rio Rancho, NM
- Tomah Nursing and Rehab in Tomah, WI
- Villa at Bradley Estates in Milwaukee, WI
The list also includes facilities that have not showed significant improvement in at least one inspection.
Other Facilities in the Program
There are other facilities that have shown improvement or recently graduated from the program. This includes the following:
- Bay At Colonial Manor Health And Rehab in Wausau, WI
- Crossroads Care Center Of Mayville in Mayville, WI
- Glen Haven Home in Glenwood, IA
- Mission Arch Center in Roswell, NM
- Touchstone Healthcare Community in Sioux City, IA
Characteristics of Special Focus Facilities
Many nursing homes have some deficiencies. On average between six and seven deficiencies per survey. Most facilities correct their deficiencies within a reasonable time period. However, a small number of nursing homes have twice as many problems as other facilities, more serious problems involving harm or injury to residents, or a pattern of problems that have lasted over a long time period.
How the Special Focus Facility Initiative Works
CMS requires SFF nursing homes to be visited in person by survey teams twice as frequently as other facilities. Inspections are converted into points based on the number of deficiencies cited. The more deficiencies cited, the more points are assigned and the greater enforcement actions will be taken.
These actions could include fines or being terminated from participation in Medicare and Medicaid. Overall, nursing homes must show substantial improvements in order to graduate from the program.
Contact PKSD for More Information
Facilities listed on the Special Focus Facility List already have a history of poor performance that give rise to repeated cycles of serious deficiencies, posing a risk to residents' health and safety.
Our Wisconsin nursing home abuse lawyers at PKSD are prepared to conduct an investigation to gather evidence to help establish that a nursing home failed to provide a reasonable level of care to protect residents from injuries and abuse.
Learn more about your legal options during a free and confidential consultation. We work on a contingency fee basis, so there are no upfront service fees unless we obtain compensation for you.
Gives us a call at 877-877-2228 to get started on your claim.